Tankless Water Heaters - Good Things Fit in Small Spaces
As we all know, upkeeping a home takes a lot of repairs and money! The idea of downsizing and moving to a place like a planned unit development or a senior housing community seems like a huge undertaking. Since you are probably moving to a smaller living space, one important thing to consider is making the most out of your square footage. For instance, tankless water heaters are now very popular because they require less space than a traditional tank water heater.
Think of a tankless water heater as an “on demand unit,” for it heats water very quickly only when you turn the faucet on, and it usually operates on gas or propane which is less expensive than electricity. Traditional tank water heaters keep 40 to 50 gallons of water hot in a storage tank all day long which requires more energy, uses electricity, and is more costly.
Here are some other benefits of a tankless water heater:
- Does not run out of hot water.
- Lasts 5 to 10 years longer than tank heaters.
- Is more efficient with no standby heat loss.
- Has an option to be installed on a wall or outdoors with an anti-freeze kit.
- Can be installed under cabinets or in a closet for smaller units.
- Utilizes only enough power to heat the water needed right then.
- Can save as much as 20% on your water heating bill.
- Has no possibility of flooding due to a ruptured tank.
Like most things though, there are several drawbacks you must consider with a tankless water heater, for it is about 3 times more expensive than a tank water heater so may take a while for the benefits to outweigh the extra cost. Remember though that a tankless unit lasts about 5 to 10 years longer than a tank unit.
Editor’s Note: Article written by Aleex Conner, Pipe Wrench Plumbing, Heating & Cooling, Inc. in Knoxville, Tennessee. Visit www.PipeWrenchPlumbing.com for special offers and additional information on other plumbing, heating and air conditioning products and services. Schedule an appointment and mention this article for $27 OFF any product or service, 865.583.3957.