What are Wheelchair Ramps and Stair Lifts?
As many as 90% of seniors state that they wish to remain in their own home for as long as possible, and one out of three seniors over the age of 65 will fall each year. Adding ramps and stair lifts in your home not only makes your living space more accessible, but also decreases the chance of a fall and serious injury.
Find Wheelchair Ramps and Stair Lifts Near You
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Asheville, North Carolina
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Charleston, South Carolina
Charlotte, North Carolina
Columbia, South Carolina
Corpus Christi, Texas
El Paso, Texas
Lexington , Kentucky
Los Angeles, California
Miami / SE Florida, Florida
New Orleans, Louisiana
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
San Antonio, Texas
San Diego, California
San Francisco, California
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Cost of Home Mobility Equimpent
Ramps and stair lifts will obviously differ depending on the size and complexity. Many providers make custom built stair lifts that can traverse any stairwell, even roundabouts. That will obviously cost more than your basic stair lift up a straight staircase. The same applies for ramps. A ramp that covers one stair is much different than one that zig-zags up to your house. Here are some general prices we found though to offer you a guideline of what it will cost.
Cost of Stair Lifts
- Stair lifts start at about $1,000. There may be cheaper, but that price seems to be consistent for a few different companies. As we mentioned, there are nicer ones that can move a whole wheel chair, or traverse a complex stairwell. These are more around 10,000 to 20,000 dollars.
Cost of Basic Ramps
- Threshold ramp- 1 to 3 inches. $50 to $100
- 3-foot ramp- $200
- 3-foot ramp with hand rails- $500
- 26-foot ramp-$2,000
- Fold-up ramps/Travel ramps-$100 to $200
Cost of Wheel Chair Ramps
- Made of wood-$3,500 to $8,000 or $100 to $250 per linear foot
- Made of aluminum- $500 to $1,000
- Building a permanent ramp- $400 to $4,000 with an average of $900 to $2,000
As you can see, the numbers vary quite a bit. This is because each company is different. It is best to shop around some before you make anything final for this reason.