What is Short Term Rehab or Post Acute Rehab?
Short-term rehabilitation is also known as post-acute rehab. Short-term rehab is often required after an accident, illness, or surgery, and usually takes place at a skilled nursing facility or rehabilitation facility. Post acute care is usually overseen by physical therapists, physicians, nutritionists, and nurses to develop an individualized care plan for the injured senior. Post acute rehab will not start until the patient is discharged from the hospital and the goal is to get the senior back in their home as smoothly as possible. Care that does not qualify as skilled care will not be covered by Medicare, so be aware of that for when the senior does return home. Short-term rehab can be as long as a few days up to 100 days, which is the cutoff date for when Medicare will cover in most states.
Find Short-Term Rehabilitation Near You
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Charleston, South Carolina
Charlotte, North Carolina
Columbia, South Carolina
Corpus Christi, Texas
El Paso, Texas
Lexington , Kentucky
Los Angeles, California
Miami / SE Florida, Florida
New Orleans, Louisiana
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Three Main Types of Post-Acute Rehab
- Learning to use walking devices, wheelchairs, etc.
- Strength training
- Fine motor skills
- Mastering daily activities, like bending over, sitting down, lying down, etc.
- Preparing meals, dressing, especially while using walking devices or wheelchairs
- Social Interaction such as public dining, seeing a movie, shopping
- Participate in leisurely activities or hobbies
- Using medical response tools
- Strengthening tongue, lips, and other necessary muscles for speech
This list is in no way comprehensive, but is here to give a senior or caregiver a general idea of what forms of therapy there are as well as some of their basic goals.
These services are provided under Medicare:
- Semi private room
- Skilled nursing Care
- Physical, occupational, and speech therapy
- Medical social services
- Medical supplies and equipment
- Ambulance transportation
- Dietary counseling
Cost of Short-Term Rehab
Days 1 through 20- $0
Days 21 through 100- $161 per day
Days 100+- all costs